March 28th is Weed Appreciation Day!

Friday, February 3, 2017

Foodie Fridays: World's Easiest Broccoli Cheese Soup


My recipe for this very easy broccoli cheese soup was inspired by one I found for Broccoli Cheddar Soup on the Mystery Lovers' Kitchen website, another one of my favorite food blogs.  I liked the idea of adding a can of white beans to increase the nutritional value as well as thicken the soup.  I left out the jalapeño as I prefer less spicy heat in my soups.  I also decided to use a jar of leftover cheese dip instead of shredding cheese, partly because I am lazy but also because I wanted to use up the dip.  If you are lazy like me but prefer a spicier soup, use a spicier cheese dip!  This soup is a great comfort food on a cold day, and so simple that it takes almost no time to make.  Feel free to use real cheese instead of the dip, but then of course it will not be the world's easiest soup!

World's Easiest Broccoli Cheese Soup

1-2 T. olive oil
1/2 medium onion, diced
3 C. chicken stock (I used unsalted)
1 bag (12 oz.) microwaveable broccoli florets, cooked
1 can (15 oz.) white beans, rinsed and drained
2 tsp. mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1 C. cheese dip (I used Tostito's Smooth and Cheesy Dip)

Heat the oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat.  Add the onion and cook until soft but not brown, about 8 minutes.  Add the stock, broccoli, and beans.  Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Remove the soup from the heat and cool slightly.  Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth.  Return to low heat and add the mustard, salt, and cheese dip.  Heat, stirring, until the cheese dip is completely incorporated.  Serve immediately topped with shredded cheese if you like.  Serves 4-6.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment