April 23rd is National Picnic Day!

Friday, February 24, 2017

Foodie Fridays: Broccoli-Cheese Cornbread


This week's recipe is for the Broccoli-Cheddar Cornbread I baked to accompany the chili I made last week.  It came from the same blog site (Home Is Where the Boat Is), and was in fact recommended as the perfect side dish for the chili.  My husband was a bit skeptical when I told him that this bread is chock full of broccoli, but as soon as he tasted it he declared that it was "the best cornbread ever"!  I have to say I agree with him.  You do not notice any broccoli flavor, but the added moisture and slight crunch from the vegetables make this dense cornbread absolutely delicious.  I've already made this recipe a second time, and it is our first choice accompaniment for chili or soup from now on.  If you like cornbread, you have got to give this recipe a try!

Broccoli-Cheese Cornbread

1 pkg. (8.5 oz.) corn muffin mix (I used Jiffy*)
3 eggs, beaten
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese (I used a cheddar-mozzarella blend)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and patted dry

Combine the cornbread mix with the eggs, onion, cheese, butter, and garlic powder.  Stir in the broccoli.  Pour the batter into a greased 8-inch square pan.  Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Cool slightly before cutting.  Serves 8.

*I used the Jiffy mix because my husband bought it so that was what we had, but next time I will look for a mix without unhealthy hydrogenated lard (Jiffy also makes a vegetarian version).

No comments:

Post a Comment