April 19th is National Garlic Day!

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Foodie Fridays: Jam Puffins

From Hunch

Back in September I published a few posts about my favorite bird, the Atlantic Puffin.  I vaguely remembered reading about a quick bread with the same name, and after a short search was rewarded with this mouthwatering recipe for Jam Puffins!  Best of all, it calls for buttermilk, so I can finally end my quest for recipes that use buttermilk, since baking these should finish off what I have left.  And what a delicious note upon which to end -- I can't wait to devour one of these sweet treats!

Jam Puffins

2 C. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/2 C. brown sugar
1/2 C. butter, melted
1 1/4 C. buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
fruit preserves or jam (your favorite flavor)

Stir together the dry ingredients.  In a large bowl, combine the eggs with the next four ingredients.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet and fold together just until moistened (do not overmix). Spoon the batter into lined muffin tins, filling two-thirds full.  Top with about a teaspoon of jam and lightly press the jam down with the back of a spoon.  Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, until puffed and golden.  Cool and serve.  Makes 12 muffins.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment