March 28th is Weed Appreciation Day!

Friday, April 27, 2012

Foodie Fridays: Crunchy Pierogi Pie

Crunchy Pierogi Pie

Just when I was wondering what recipe I wanted to post for today, I came across this one for Crunchy Pierogi Pie!  I love pierogi, but rarely eat them because they can be a bit boring on their own.  This recipe turns them into a hearty main dish which could easily become another comfort food favorite for a trying day.  I might change it up a bit by using potato and onion pierogi instead of the variety with cheese, and cheddar instead of Parmesan cheese.  It also looks like the pie is topped with onions sautéed in butter in the photo above, and that is a traditional way to eat pierogi, so I would add them as well.  Pierogi are available in the freezer section of most supermarkets, and I am going to rush out right now to pick up a box so I can make this dish!  By the way, one interesting fact I learned about these Eastern European dumplings is that the word "pierogi" is actually plural, so no "s" is needed at the end -- who knew?

Crunchy Pierogi Pie

1 box (1 lb.) frozen potato and onion pierogi (or any preferred variety)
3 T. butter
3 T. grated cheddar or Parmesan cheese

Boil the pierogi for 3-4 minutes, until they float to the water's surface.  Drain well and place in a glass 8-inch pie plate.  Dot the top with the butter, then sprinkle the cheese over.  Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until the edges brown and everything is crispy, including the bottoms of the pierogi.  Serve hot.  Serves 4 (hopefully, unless I find that I am unable to exercise restraint!).
     

No comments:

Post a Comment