October 16th is National Fossil Day!

Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Terrifying Tuesdays: Weeks One and Two of My Scary Movie Recommendations from the 1970s-1990s, Part 2

 From Amazon

Welcome to Part Two of my scary movie recommendations for October.  Up next is "Deep Rising" (1998), a horrific but weirdly fun creature feature set on a stranded cruise ship.  I do not enjoy the ocean, and as a confirmed landlubber my idea of hell is being stuck on a cruise ship, so this film is especially scary for me!  You can watch this one on YouTube here.

If, like me, you find dolls to be profoundly creepy, then you will truly appreciate the terror of the movie "Dolls" (1987).  Six people find themselves suspiciously stranded near an old mansion with a storm approaching, and have no choice but to seek shelter there.  The elderly puppet maker and his wife seem hospitable enough, but the sheer number of dolls and puppets throughout the house is unnerving, and as the night progresses this unease proves to be justified. You can watch this movie on Dailymotion here.

Next in line for your viewing pleasure is "The Fog" (1980), a John Carpenter classic about the vengeful ghosts of a ship's crew who appear out of the fog to wreak havoc in a small coastal town, some of whose residents are descendants of those who were responsible for their tragic deaths.  You can watch it for free on TokyVideo here, but I strongly suggest you do not watch the 2005 remake, which is a major disappointment.

Believe it or not, I have another horror anthology to recommend (I told you this time period includes quite a few anthologies!).  "From Beyond the Grave" (1974) is in my opinion another one of the better offerings - I actually think that all four of the short stories are equally well done.  And as a big fan of Peter Cushing, I was pleased to see that he plays a pivotal role in this film.  I could not find this one free online, but it is available on a few streaming sites.

For a more lighthearted film, my next choice is "Galaxy Quest" (1999), which shamelessly parodies the original Star Trek television series, but in a mostly affectionate way.  While the movie is not especially scary, the space alien villains are hideous and nasty, so I feel I can include it here.  This is another film that is available on streaming sites but not for free anywhere online that I can find.

The final movie for Week Two is "Ghostbusters" (1984), another fun and not too scary movie about a team of scientists who decide to specialize in removing pesky ghosts for a (substantial) fee, coincidentally at the same time that an evil force has caused spooks to run wild in New York City.  A new sequel to this long-running franchise was just released this year, so the original has been available for viewing on multiple streaming sites, as well as cable television networks on occasion.

Okay, that's it for now, and next week I will (hopefully) remember to cover the movie recommendations for Week Three! 👽👻🎃💀👿

No comments:

Post a Comment