April 29th is International Dance Day!

Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Wish List Wednesdays: Recent Purchases for Autumn

Image from Mercari

After returning home from a train trip back east for two weeks to visit family for Labor Day, I am so ready to welcome autumn.  We had a particularly hot and dry summer this year, but have finally gotten some rain and cooler temperatures with the onset of fall, and I could not be happier.  Since we are still unpacking boxes after moving all of our numerous belongings from Georgia to New Mexico, I rarely give myself permission to shop for anything other than essentials.  However, I decided that I would indulge just this once to celebrate my favorite season, so let's take a look at what I found.

At the top of the page is an image of the Peanuts Autumn Is Calling mug that I found at TJMaxx for only $6.99.  I love Snoopy, of course, but also the colorful leaves on the exterior and the orange handle and interior.  Best of all, there is even an image of a fall leaf at the bottom of the interior!

Image from Poshmark

I also found this DW Home Log Campfire candle at TJMaxx for $12.99:


While I am not crazy about the scent (it is okay but not my favorite), I could not resist the cute embroidered top with an autumnal mushroom design.  Luckily this top fits on other candles I already own with scents that I really enjoy, so I can easily reuse it.


I really did not need new kitchen towels, but I could not pass up the cute autumn dogs pattern on this Casaba Home Kitchen Towel Set (2 patterned towels and one orange towel) for just $9.99, also from TJMaxx.

I am hoping that purchasing these towels with give me the push I need to sort through my kitchen towels and finally get rid of some of the older ones that have been kept around for far too long!

My last autumnal TJMaxx find was a couple of packages of Simply Wize Gluten Free Pumpkin Gnocchi for just $3.99 each.  While I am not on a gluten-free diet, I do like pumpkin gnocchi, which I have actually made from scratch before, so I am looking forward to trying these, perhaps with a simple garlic and sage butter sauce.  This is apparently an Australian brand, so I was lucky to find it for such a reasonable price in the United States.  Luckily food purchases are only temporary additions to our home, so I don't need to feel guilty about bringing them into the house. 😊

I found the Republic of Tea Pumpkin Spice Black Tea Bags for $7.99 at our local Sprouts Farmers Market.  Of the various pumpkin spice-flavored teas I have tried, this version is the one I prefer.

My next purchase was quite the splurge, but I really wanted to try the Fall Tamales from Williams Sonoma ($99.95 for a dozen tamales).  The pumpkin mole flavor sounds delicious and I can't wait to try these with the surprisingly tasty Roasted Tomato and Chipotle Salsa Roja from Walmart.

Update: These tamales were okay but a bit dry and bland.  In my opinion they need the addition of cheese to reduce the dryness and some Hatch or other tasty chilies to add more kick.  I still have half of the order left, and plan to try them with a generous amount of cheesy enchilada dip to see if that enhances the flavor.


And speaking of Walmart, I also picked up a package of Oreo Pumpkin Spice Cookies there (available online for $4.58).  I do not usually buy packaged cookies, but I have never tried this flavor before and I do usually let myself try something new once, even if it is not the healthiest choice.  I hope I like them!

Update: Meh - I was not impressed.  These Oreos did not taste like either pumpkin or spice - all I could taste was sugar.  You would be better off getting the Halloween Oreos with the chocolate cookies and bright orange filling because at least then you can taste the chocolate.

I always seem to end up buying new sweaters every autumn, and this year is no exception.  I purchased two St. John's Bay Womens V Neck Pullover Sweaters from JCPenney (one in Rustic Brick and one in Deep Bronze, two very autumnal colors) for a very reasonable $16.49 each.  If you are looking for a good quality inexpensive lightweight mostly cotton sweater I highly recommend these (they also come with a crew neck but I prefer the V neck).

Okay, one last purchase I made for fall is the Galison Autumn in the Neighborhood 1,000 Piece Puzzle ($17.99 on Amazon).  I love 1,000 piece puzzles, and the little dog reminds me of our dog Madison, so I will truly enjoy working on this one!

As you can see, I really stocked up on seasonal goodies for fall this year.  I also added to my book collection in anticipation of more time for reading once gardening season is over and the weather turns chilly, so I have a future post planned with recommendations for spooky season reads.  Bring on the fall weather! 🍂🎃🍁

No comments:

Post a Comment