May 4th is National Herb Day!

Friday, May 14, 2021

Foodie Fridays: Overnight Oats

I have been busy lately trying to get my garden planted, so I have been looking for really quick and easy recipes to make since I have little time to cook (I have also been neglecting this blog a bit for the same reason, as you may have noticed).  Anyway, I was watching the latest video on one of my favorite YouTube vlogs the other day and, even though this vlogger is not that interested in cooking she actually included a recipe for overnight oats that looked so simple and tasty that I immediately mixed up a couple of servings (you can watch this vlog episode below).

Luckily I had all of the ingredients needed on hand, plus a couple of small Mason jars I had placed in a box that is headed to Goodwill next week but retrieved just for this recipe.  The weather is finally really warming up here, and this oatmeal is great eaten cold, although you could warm it up in the microwave if you prefer a warm breakfast.  I have been wanting to try overnight oats for a while now, and I am glad I finally did.  I usually eat the same thing for breakfast every morning (a slice of buttered toast and some cheese) so it is about time I changed up my routine once in a while - this recipe will certainly help me do that!

Overnight Oats

6 T. rolled oats (I used quick-cooking oats)
1 T. chia seeds
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. coconut sugar (optional)
1 T. dried berries (I used a raisin, cherry, and cranberry blend)
3/4 C. milk (I used almond milk)

Layer the dry ingredients in a small (1/2 pint) mason jar.  Pour the milk over and stir to blend.  Allow to sit for a few minutes and then stir again.  Refrigerate overnight and serve the next morning.  Serves 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment