May 4th is National Herb Day!

Friday, May 7, 2021

Foodie Fridays: Easy Chicken Casserole


I check out several cooking vlogs on YouTube that feature quick and easy recipes.  While most of the recipes are for baked goods, there are some main dishes as well, and today's dish is one I found on the Last Minute Kitchen channel.  This Easy Chicken Casserole (watch the YouTube video below) is probably one of the most effortless chicken recipes I have ever made, especially since I bought prepared chicken cutlets instead of a chicken breast at the supermarket, which eliminates the need to slice and pound the chicken pieces.  The instructions say to season the chicken to taste, but be sure to season generously or this dish will be rather bland.  The casserole makes two generous or three more normal-sized portions.  I served my chicken with steamed Brussels sprouts (but I did not cook them together as my photo seems to imply -  I simply stored the leftovers in the same casserole dish that I cooked the chicken in).

These days I am spending a lot of time outside gardening, so a quick dinner like this one comes in very handy when I have little time to cook.  The recipe also lends itself readily to modifications, using any type of cheese and/or herbs you prefer.  I can't wait to try it with Cheddar cheese and Mexican flavors, or feta and Greek seasonings.  I have a feeling I will be coming back to this recipe often!

Easy Chicken Casserole

1 chicken breast half, sliced horizontally into 3 pieces*
salt, pepper, paprika and thyme (to taste)
1/2 C. sour cream
1/2 tsp. dried basil
2 T. minced fresh parsley
2 small tomatoes, sliced
1/2 C. shredded mozzarella

Pound the chicken breast pieces flat with a meat tenderizer.  Combine the salt, pepper, paprika and thyme in a small bowl.  Rub the seasoning on one side of the chicken pieces.

In a small bowl, combine the sour cream with the basil and parsley, plus salt and pepper to taste.

Place the chicken breast pieces, seasoned side down, in a greased baking dish.  Season the tops.  Spread the sour cream mixture on the chicken and top with the tomato slices.  Evenly sprinkle the cheese over.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, until the cheese is melted and golden brown.  Serves 2 generously.

*I think that most supermarkets sell chicken cutlets now, usually three to a package, and this is what I used.

No comments:

Post a Comment