May 3rd is National Public Radio Day!

Friday, September 13, 2019

Foodie Fridays: Fast and Easy Pesto Lasagne


Because I am so busy getting ready to move at the end of the month, I have been relying on a lot of convenience foods when preparing meals.  I am also trying to use up as much food as possible in the freezer before I leave.  I had a couple of packages of frozen lasagne noodles that I have been meaning to try, so the recipe I found for Fast-and-Easy Pesto Lasagne was especially appealing.

Of course I did not make homemade pesto (I am a lazy cook, after all, in addition to having so little time for cooking right now!) - I used the refrigerated version from the supermarket instead.  I substituted chicken stock for the water, but only because I have some left over from another recipe that must get used up.  I also used pre-shredded cheese instead of cubing a chunk of mozzarella because it was easier.  Feel free to ignore all of my lazy changes and stick to the original recipe if you prefer!

This dish is very rich but extremely tasty, so try not to eat more than one serving per meal!  Serve the lasagne with a green vegetable or a salad for a complete and satisfying dinner.  The only change I might make next time is to soften the lasagne sheets in some boiling water before using them, as they were rather chewy, but even without this change the recipe is one I will certainly be using again.

Fast and Easy Pesto Lasagne

1 carton (15 oz.) ricotta cheese (I always use the low-fat version)
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 C. water (or chicken stock)
1 pkg. (8.8 oz.) Giovanni Rana Ready to Bake Lasagne Sheets
1 1/2 containers (7 oz. each) refrigerated pesto sauce
1 1/2 C. shredded Italian cheese blend

In a medium bowl, whisk together the ricotta, egg, salt and pepper, and water.  The mixture will be runny but the extra moisture will help soften the lasagne sheets so don't be alarmed!

Spread 1/4 C. of the ricotta mixute on the bottom of a lightly greased 9-inch square baking dish.  Top with 2 lasagne sheets, overlapping them.  Spread 1/3 of the pesto (half of one container) over the noodles, then 1/3 of the remaining ricotta mixture.  Top with about 1/3 C. of shredded cheese.  Arrange 2 more lasagne sheets on top, and repeat the pesto/ricotta mixture/shredded cheese layers.  Finish with the last 2 lasagne sheets, followed by the remaining pesto, ricotta mixture, and shredded cheese.  Cover the baking dish with foil, preferably nonstick (otherwise try to keep the foil from touching the top of the lasagne).

Bake at 425 degrees for 35 minutes.  Remove the foil and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes to brown the top slightly.

Remove the lasagne from the oven and let it rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing.  Serves 6.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment