April 25th is World Penguin Day!

Friday, February 23, 2018

Foodie Fridays: Shrimp, Potato, Pea, and Cucumber Salad


I came up with this variation on potato salad back when I was still trying to use up frozen peas (mission finally accomplished, BTW!).  I made this on one of the rare warm winter days we had, but until recently the weather has been a little too cool for me to crave this sort of salad.  The month of February, though, has been mostly quite warm, so I am in the mood for salads and this one will be made again soon.

The first time I made this I simply boiled the shrimp, but next time I think I will roast them instead as roasting brings out more flavor.  I often use parsley paste instead of the fresh herb, but fresh parsley would be fine in this recipe.  While I eat this as a main dish, it could also be served as a hearty side dish instead.  I think I will be eating this salad as a meal often come summer!

Shrimp, Potato, Pea, and Cucumber Salad

24 oz. new potatoes, boiled
1 lb. raw shrimp, boiled or roasted and cooled
12 oz. frozen peas, thawed
1/2 English cucumber, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
1/2 C. sour cream
1 T. parsley paste*
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. dried dill*
1/2 tsp. salt
zest and juice of 1 lemon

 Cut the potatoes and shrimp into bite-sized pieces and combine with the peas and cucumber slices in a large bowl.  Whisk the remaining ingredients together in a small bowl and pour over the potato mixture.  Toss until well combined.  Refrigerate for several hours before serving to let the flavors blend.  Serve at room temperature.  Serves 8.

*You can use fresh parsley and dill if you have them, and increase the amounts if you wish.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment