Wednesday, December 6, 2017

This 'n That Thursdays: A Few Easy, Relaxing, and Inexpensive Holiday Activities

From The Coca-Cola Company

The holiday season is always a rather frantic time of the year, not to mention expensive, so it is important to schedule some fun activities that are relaxing and will not further deplete the bank account.  Below is my list of preferences, based upon a blog post I read recently entitled "24 Free (or Super Cheap) Christmas Activities!".  Some of the options listed in this post are not my idea of relaxation (I find wrapping gifts and writing Christmas cards, for example, to be the very opposite!), but some of the others are my favorite ways to take a break from the stress of the season:

From Fun Inventors

1) Watch Christmas Movies - this time of the year our satellite TV service adds the Hallmark channels to our viewing options, and I just can't resist those sugary sweet holiday romance movies that run nonstop.  I also look forward to any of the old classics that happen to come on.  "White Christmas" (1954) is my all-time favorite, but I also enjoy "A Christmas Story" (1983) which runs all day long on Christmas day.  I have a collection of holiday DVDs as well just in case there are no good choices available when I am ready to watch a movie.

From Two Cottages and Tea

2) Christmas Music, Christmas Magazines, and a Hot Beverage - whenever I have a few free moments I like to either pop a few classic Christmas CDs into the player (Bing Crosby is my voice choice!) or set the TV to the Traditional Holidays music channel while flipping through holiday magazines and sipping a mug of hot spiced tea - my idea of seasonal relaxation!

From Laurel Home

3) View the Neighborhood Christmas Decorations - this is something I do extremely early in the morning (before 6 AM) when I am out walking the dogs.  Not everyone has their lights on then, but those who do have some very attractive decorations up for the season.  Every year our town has a contest to decide which homes have the best décor and prizes are handed out, so many of the homeowners make an extra effort to put up impressive and tasteful displays.  There are a number of historic homes in our small Georgia town and the residents take great pride in their history, so homes tend to be adorned with more traditional southern décor - there is not a single tacky blowup Santa or snowman to be found!

From Happy Holidays!

4) Bake Christmas Goodies - my annual tradition is the baking of fruitcakes for my siblings (see recipe here), which is not necessarily my favorite holiday treat, but at least it keeps me from overindulging in my own baked goods!  For our own consumption, I will probably be making Low Carb Almond Cookies, which are quite good and still allow me to stick to my low-carb diet.

From Shutterstock

5) Read a Christmas-Themed Book - to me the absolute best way to relax during the holiday season is to read a book with a holiday theme.  Some years I reread an old favorite (if you like mysteries you must read Charlotte MacLeod's Rest You Merry).  This year I recently purchased two Christmas books, a collection of short mystery stories called The Usual Santas and a Charles Dickens-themed book entitled A Christmas Dinner.  I can't wait to get started on them!

🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄

These five activities are great and relatively inexpensive ways to take it easy during the holidays.  I hope you have a few of your own, and/or that you will be inspired by these suggestions!
             

No comments:

Post a Comment