March 28th is Weed Appreciation Day!

Friday, April 25, 2014

Foodie Fridays: Avocado Toast


While I am probably a bit behind the times, I recently found out that one of the latest food fads is Avocado Toast.  Everyone with a food blog (or at least those of the younger generation) seems to be raving about this breakfast treat, so I decided I had to try it.  Well, now I am hooked as well!  I think the original idea was that the avocado replaced butter as a healthier spread, but now there are so many variations, including those with added butter, and this is my preference.  I like to use a good quality whole wheat sandwich bread, but use whatever bread you prefer.  For protein, I add a sliced hard-boiled egg.  My secret ingredient, which makes this meal extra special, is a sprinkling of smoked paprika.  Avocado toast hardly needs a recipe, but I am posting one for my favorite variation.  If you haven't already, give this toast a try!

Avocado Toast

2 slices bread
1/2 T. butter, softened
1 hard-boiled egg, sliced
salt to taste
1 ripe avocado
smoked paprika to taste

Toast the bread.  Spread each slice with butter, then divide the egg slices between the two pieces of bread.  Sprinkle the egg with salt to taste.  Halve the avocado and remove the seed.  Using a spoon, slice out thin slivers of avocado from each half and pile them onto the toast.  Sprinkle the tops of each with smoked paprika to taste.  Serves 1-2 (depending on how hungry you are!).
             

No comments:

Post a Comment