April 29th is International Dance Day!

Friday, October 20, 2023

Foodie Fridays: Eggplant and Tomato Pasta

We have had a very mild October, with only one night close to freezing, and my vegetable garden is still producing.  I finally harvested the last of the eggplant before cutting down the plants, and decided that a recipe I found for Eggplant and Tomato Pasta was the perfect way to prepare it.  Ziti is the pasta that is usually used in this recipe, but I had small shells so I used those instead and I think I prefer them.  I also still have fresh basil so I added a generous amount to the pasta.  It will not be long before a hard freeze brings an end to my vegetable garden, but this pasta was a great way for me to use up some of the last of my harvest, and is simple and tasty enough to be worth making again with grocery store produce at any time of the year.

Eggplant and Tomato Pasta

1 large eggplant, cut into pasta-sized pieces
4-6 T. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes (I used unsalted)
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce (I used unsalted)
1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
8 oz. short pasta (I used small shells)
salt to taste
2-4 T. roughly torn fresh basil leaves
1 package (8 oz.) fresh mozzarella pearls

In a wok or large skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat.  Add the eggplant and stir-fry or sauté until golden brown and very soft, about 20 minutes, adding about 1/4 tsp. salt halfway through cooking.  (Add more oil as needed to prevent the eggplant from drying out.)
 

Push the eggplant to the sides and add the garlic.  Cook until slightly soft, about one minute.  Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and 1/2 tsp. salt and bring to a gentle simmer.  Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.


Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente.  Reserve 1/2 C. of the pasta water and drain.


Add the pasta and basil to the sauce and toss until the pasta is coated and glossy.  Taste and adjust the seasoning.  Stir in the pasta water if needed (I did not need to add any).  Spoon individual servings into bowls, divide the mozzarella pearls among the bowls, and stir them in.  Serves 4.

Note: If you have leftovers, reheat in the microwave before adding the mozzarella so that the cheese does not get too melted and stringy when serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment