May 4th is National Herb Day!

Friday, July 30, 2021

Foodie Fridays: Garlic Butter Shrimp and Corn Sheet Pan Dinner


Is anyone else having trouble with Blogger's latest "improvements"?  It looks like I can still create posts, but I am unable to edit my blog page properly, which is why so many sections have been out of date and/or have changed significantly in appearance!  This problem happened briefly about a week ago but was fixed later on the same day.  Four days ago the problem returned, and it is still not fixed.  I have sent feedback to Blogger every day since this started, but as yet no change.  I will still post whenever I have time, but my blog page maintenance may never recover!

Anyway, I wanted to post a recipe I tried recently for Garlic Butter Shrimp and Corn Sheet Pan Dinner because it is really delicious!  This easy sheet pan dinner is a great summer meal if you don't mind turning the oven on for a while.  I actually made this late at night and then reheated it for dinner the next day in the microwave so that I did not overheat my kitchen, and it was still quite tasty.  I did not think this dish needed the feta cheese (I did not use it and did not miss it), but I am not a big fan of feta so you decide if you prefer to add it.  In my opinion an onion would have been just fine as a substitute for the fennel, but again fennel is not a favorite of mine so you decide if it is worth using (I did like the addition of the fennel fronds).  I decreased the amount of shrimp used in the recipe because I only had half of the amount called for, and it seems to be just fine with the lesser amount.  And I served it both with and without basil and it tastes great both ways, but the basil is a good flavor addition so I recommend it.  This recipe is so good that I can't wait to make it again, so please give this one a try!

Garlic Butter Shrimp and Corn Sheet Pan Dinner

4 ears of corn, shucked and kernels removed (about 2 C.)
1 fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced, plus 1/4 C. fennel fronds
1 T. olive oil
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
6 T. unsalted butter, melted
4 cloves garlic, minced
zest of 1 lemon, plus wedges for serving
12 oz. large peeled and deveined shrimp, tails removed
1 pint (about 10 oz.) cherry tomatoes
1/2 C. crumbled feta (optional)
1/2 C. lightly packed fresh basil leaves, torn (optional)

Toss the corn, fennel, olive oil, and 1/2 tsp. salt in a nonstick baking pan until evenly coated and combined.  Spread into an even layer.  Roast at 425 degrees until crisp-tender and starting to brown in spots, tossing halfway through, about 8 minutes.  Remove from the oven.
 
Stir the melted butter, garlic, lemon zest, and 1/4 tsp. salt together in a medium bowl until combined.  Add the shrimp and tomatoes and toss to combine.  Spread the shrimp mixture on top of the corn and fennel and roast until the shrimp are opaque throughout and the tomatoes start to burst, about 6 minutes.

Top with the reserved fennel fronds, feta, and basil. Serve with lemon wedges for squeezing.  Serves 4.

Note: I used frozen corn instead of fresh, and omitted the red pepper flakes from the original recipe.  I had about 3 cups of leftover sliced, roasted yellow squash (about 2 medium) which I combined with the shrimp and tomatoes.  Also, most of my tomatoes did not burst on their own so I pierced each one with a knife at the end of cooking - next time I will probably just cut them in half first.

No comments:

Post a Comment