April 24th is International Guide Dog Day!

Friday, June 1, 2018

Foodie Fridays: Three Potato Salad


When I was in New York last summer caring for my sister, I had very little time to cook, so I depended on a lot of pre-made foods from her local grocery stores.  One of the deli salads I often bought was Three Potato Salad, which is made with Russet, sweet, and red-skinned potatoes.  Normally I do not like potato salads, but I became quite fond of this version.

Unfortunately, none of the supermarkets where I live sell it, so I decided to try my hand at making it myself.  The version I had in New York was a very simple salad with few embellishments, so I searched for a recipe that seemed similar and found one for Three Potato Salad on the Life, Love and Sugar blog that looked right.  This side dish was exactly what I was looking for.  I like to keep it simple, but feel free to add herbs, eggs, seasonings, or other ingredients if you prefer.  I know I will be making this easy and delicious recipe again soon, as it is a great summer side dish!

Three Potato Salad

2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
3-4 medium red-skinned potatoes, diced
1 C. mayonnaise
1/4 C. finely diced red onion
1 T. sugar
1 T. white vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Place the diced potatoes in a large pot and fill with enough water to fully cover.  Bring the water to a boil and boil the potatoes for 15-20 minutes, until softened but still firm enough to hold their shape.  Drain the water from the potatoes and refrigerate until cold.

In a large bowl, combine the cooked potatoes with the remaining ingredients and stir until well combined.  Serve immediately, or store in the fridge until ready to serve (the potato salad tastes even better if chilled overnight).  Serves 8.
               

No comments:

Post a Comment