April 23rd is National Picnic Day!

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

This 'n That Thursdays: Deconstructing Popular Myths

This is a vomitorium -- who knew?
(from The Red & Black)

I recently learned about the YouTube channel of CGP Grey on NPR's Krulwich Wonders series.  CGP Grey's short videos take a look at a number of widely held assumptions about history and science, and then proceed in a most entertaining way to explain just how wrong these beliefs are.  Check out this video deconstructing five popular historical misconceptions -- I can practically guarantee you will learn something new (I know I did!):



There is also a video featuring ten random misconceptions.  After watching this one, you will never look at tabletop fans or spiders in the same way again (I'm fervently hoping the segment about spiders is a joke):


I think my favorite is the 8 Animal Misconceptions Rundown (except for misconception #1 at the end, which is rather gruesome):


After seeing this video, I now know to buy only blue toys for my dogs.  Who says watching YouTube videos is a waste of time?  Thank you, CGP Grey!

Adorable with or without a blue toy!
(from Moosey's Country Garden)
                

No comments:

Post a Comment