April 16th is the Day of the Mushroom!

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Foodie Fridays: Tuna Noodle Casserole

From Linda's Recipe Box

My husband and I are both really bad about buying items for the pantry and then forgetting to use them.  Periodically I decide I simply must use up pantry items before I have to throw them out, so this is when I start to dig out my pantry staple recipes.  One of the best for this purpose is Tuna Noodle Casserole, an old standby that everyone remembers from their childhood, although not always fondly!  I happen to like it -- this was one of the first recipes I learned to make, straight from the old Girl Scout handbook when I was trying to earn the merit badge for cooking.  There are a surprising number of variations for this simple recipe, but the one I remember had noodles, tuna, peas, cream of mushroom soup, some milk, and a topping of crushed potato chips.  It can be a bit bland, so season accordingly -- I may just add some dried dill to mine, and some people add shredded cheese for more flavor.  Sadly, cans of tuna have gotten smaller since my childhood days.  Back in the day they were about seven ounces and now they are down to five -- use either one or two cans as you see fit.  You might want to save some crushed potato chips to sprinkle on the casserole when serving, for added crunch.  The following is the version of Tuna Noodle Casserole that I will be making as I attempt to clear out our food pantry, and I know I am going to enjoy it!

Tuna Noodle Casserole

8 oz. egg noodles, cooked and drained
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/2 C. milk
1 or 2 cans (5 oz. each) tuna, drained
2 C. frozen peas, thawed
salt and pepper to taste
1 C. lightly crushed potato chips

Mix soup with milk until smooth.  Combine all ingredients except potato chips.  Pour into a greased casserole dish and top with potato chips.  Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes until bubbly.  Sprinkle individual servings with additional crushed potato chips if desired.  Serves 4.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment