April 24th is International Guide Dog Day!

Friday, April 29, 2011

Foodie Fridays: Dilly Tuna and Pasta Salad

From Cooking with Carrie

Much as I hate to admit it, I am not especially fond of fish, and am even less enthusiastic about cooking it.  I will only eat salmon that has been cooked with a generous amount of teriyaki sauce, as that is the only condiment that can disguise the flavor, which I cannot tolerate.  The only fresh fish I like are mild white types like halibut, sole, or mahi mahi, preferably prepared by someone else.  However, I love canned tuna.  Perhaps because tuna salad was a frequent lunch option when I was a child, I find the familiar if not especially fresh flavor of this tinned fish rather comforting.  One of my favorite summer recipes is the following tuna and pasta salad.  With very little effort one can create a cool yet filling complete meal, in a large enough quantity to serve a family or to eat by oneself over several days.  This dish actually makes me look forward to summer, even here in hot, humid Georgia!

Dilly Tuna and Pasta Salad

1 C. mayonnaise
1/2 C. dill pickle relish
1/4 C. chopped red onion
1 T. lemon juice
1 T. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 C. small shell pasta, cooked, drained, and cooled
1 C. frozen peas, thawed
1 can (6 oz.) tuna, drained
1 can (4 oz.) sliced olives, drained

Combine first seven ingredients.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Chill until ready to serve.  Serves 6.

Note: One cup of shredded cheddar cheese may be added as well.
               

No comments:

Post a Comment