March 29th is World Marbles Day!

Friday, February 1, 2013

Foodie Fridays: Smashed Potatoes

From Askville

A few weeks ago I posted a recipe for Turkey Meat Loaf, and mentioned that I liked to serve it with Smashed Potatoes.  Today I am providing my favorite recipe for the latter.  I like to use small, thin-skinned yellow potatoes like Yukon Gold or Baby Dutch, but any boiling potato works just fine.  There is no need to peel the potatoes, and if they are tiny there is no need to dice them either.  Consider the measurements for the butter, milk, and seasonings to be suggestions rather than commandments -- vary the amounts according to personal taste (or, if you're like me and often forget to salt the potato water, adjust the salt accordingly).  I call these smashed rather than mashed potatoes because I like a chunky texture, but if you prefer smooth mashed potatoes then by all means mash away!  Add a bit more milk if the potatoes seem dry and difficult to smash, but don't overdo it or you will have potato soup (which is not necessarily a bad thing).  For a richer flavor add as much extra butter as you like, but try to add it before the milk so that it will melt quickly.  This recipe should probably serve six, but in our house we are lucky if it makes four servings.  I don't serve potatoes often, but when I do I like to enjoy them!

Smashed Potatoes

1 1/2 lbs. thin-skinned boiling potatoes, halved or quartered if large
4 T. butter (I use unsalted)
1/2 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
4 T. milk
2 T. minced fresh dill, or 2 tsp. dried dill (optional)
2 T. minced chives (optional)

Rinse the potatoes, place in a large pot, and fill the pot with water to just cover the potatoes.  Salt the water, then place the pot over high heat and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to medium and boil for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.  Drain and return to the pot.  Add the butter and seasonings and either stir with a fork or mash with a potato masher to break up the potatoes to your desired consistency.  Add the milk and stir until the potatoes are creamy (add more milk as needed, a small amount at a time, if the potatoes still seem dry).  Add the herbs and mix in well.  Serves 4.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment