April 29th is International Dance Day!

Friday, December 22, 2023

Foodie Fridays: Small Batch One Banana Muffins

All decked out in Christmas-colored silicone baking cups!

I used to love to bake, but these days I rarely do so as I must watch my carbohydrate intake.  However, every once in a while I feel the need to bake something, so I try to make small batch recipes since I am just baking for two.  Recently we had one very overripe banana that either had to be used up or thrown away, so I tried a Small Batch One Banana Muffins recipe which turned out great.  I usually find banana muffins to be way too sweet, but by adding 60% dark chocolate chips and coconut sugar (which does not taste as sweet as brown sugar) these muffins were just right.  Next time we have an overripe banana I will make these again!

Small Batch One Banana Muffins

1 C. flour (I used white whole wheat flour)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 C. melted unsalted butter (or vegetable oil)
1 overripe banana (1/2 cup mashed)
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed (I used coconut sugar)
1 large egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 C. dark (or semisweet) chocolate chips

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.  Set aside.

In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter.  Add the banana and mash thoroughly with a fork.  Whisk in the sugar, egg, and vanilla extract until smooth.  Add the dry ingredients and stir together until a batter forms. Stir until just incorporated (do not overmix).  Fold in the chocolate chips.

If time permits, let the batter sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before scooping so that the batter will rise better while baking.  Spoon the batter equally into 6 greased or lined muffin cups.

Bake at 425°F for 5 minutes, then decrease the oven temperature to 350°F, WITHOUT opening the oven door, and bake for 12-15 more minutes until domed and set (a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean).  Remove from the oven and cool for a few minutes before serving.  Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment