March 29th is World Marbles Day!

Friday, February 26, 2016

Foodie Fridays: Tomato Coconut Soup


One of my favorite lunchtime meals is tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich.  I have been looking for a quick and easy tomato soup recipe so that I can wean myself away from the canned version, and came across one for Tomato Coconut Soup.  I don't normally add milk to my tomato soup, but the use of coconut milk in this recipe intrigued me, so I decided to try it.  I really like this variation -- you don't even taste the coconut milk, but it gives the soup a creamy taste and consistency.  The only change I made was the addition of carrots for a bit of sweetness, as canned tomatoes can taste a little bitter sometimes and I was trying to avoid putting in the sugar that is so prominent in canned tomato soup.  In the photo above, the soup is topped with Asian rice crackers, which are very crunchy and resist getting soggy.  The recipe makes a lot of soup, so I can have my favorite lunch all week if I want!

Tomato Coconut Soup

1 T. vegetable oil
1 C. diced onion
1 C. diced celery
1 C. diced carrot
salt and pepper to taste
2 C. water or stock (I used unsalted vegetable stock)
1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes (I used unsalted)
1 can (14 oz. coconut milk (I used the light version)
1 can (16 oz.) tomato sauce (I used unsalted)
1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Cook and stir the onion, celery, and carrot in the hot oil until softened, about 10 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.

Combine the onion mixture with the remaining ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer until heated through, about 15 minutes.  Remove from the heat and blend the soup with an immersion blender until smooth.  Serves 6.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment