April 25th is World Penguin Day!

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Foodie Fridays: Coconut Bundt Cake


I have a birthday in February, and one of my favorite cakes for this event is coconut cake.  Lately I have become a Bundt cake enthusiast, so I thought I would attempt a coconut version as a birthday gift to myself.  I modified a recipe for Coconut Pound Cake (Using Coconut Milk), replacing most of the butter with coconut oil, adding some coconut extract, and increasing the amount of coconut flakes in the batter.  All of these changes were made to increase the intensity of the coconut flavor, because I really like coconut!

I made a Coconut Glaze from a different recipe because it was quicker, and substituted coconut milk for the regular milk.  The original recipe calls for both vanilla and coconut extracts, but next time I will probably leave out the vanilla as it changes the color of the glaze from white to tan, and I really wanted a pure white glaze.  Overall, though, I loved this cake!  It is very moist and full of coconut flavor, especially after it mellows for a day, and I think I would only add the glaze for special occasions.  I now prefer Bundt cakes to layer cakes, even for birthdays!

Coconut Bundt Cake

1/2 C. coconut oil, melted
1/4 C. (1/2 stick) butter, softened
1 3/4 C. sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. coconut extract
2 C. flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 C. unsweetened flaked coconut
3/4 C. canned coconut milk
Coconut Glaze (optional)*
1/2 C. sweetened flaked coconut (optional)

Combine the coconut oil and butter in a large bowl.  Cream in the sugar until completely incorporated.  Beat in the eggs, one at a time.  Add the vanilla and coconut extract.

In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Stir in the unsweetened coconut flakes.  Add the coconut milk alternately with the flour mixture, blending thoroughly after each addition, beginning and ending with the coconut milk.  Pour the mixture into a well-greased and lightly-floured Bundt pan.  Tap the pan lightly on the countertop to settle the batter and deflate any air bubbles.

Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes (my cake took exactly 55 minutes to bake).  Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 15-30 minutes.  Remove from the pan and cool completely.

If desired, drizzle the Coconut Glaze over the cake as evenly as possible.  Sprinkle with the 1/2 C. sweetened flaked coconut, covering as much of the glaze as you can.  Let the glaze harden for 15-30 minutes before serving.  Serves 10.

*Coconut Glaze: Combine 1 1/2 C. confectioner's sugar, 2 T. coconut milk, and 1/2 tsp. each vanilla and coconut extract in a medium-sized bowl, stirring or whisking until thoroughly blended and smooth.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment