April 19th is National Garlic Day!

Friday, February 12, 2016

Foodie Fridays: Baked Mushroom and Greens Stuffed Tomatoes


While I love a good brunch, I prefer savory dishes to sweet ones for this meal, because I can add vegetables, which I find are often sadly lacking.  Even if I serve a sweet main dish like pancakes or French toast, I try to fit in a vegetable side dish.  I slightly modified a recipe for Baked Mushroom and Spinach Stuffed Tomatoes that I think would work well on a brunch menu, even one that features sweet foods.  I have a feeling this dish will probably show up on our table for Valentine's Day on Sunday!

Baked Mushroom and Greens Stuffed Tomatoes

8 medium-sized tomatoes
1 T. olive oil
8 oz. mushrooms, finely chopped
4 oz. baby greens, roughly chopped (I used a kale and spinach blend)
2 T. butter
1 C. panko bread crumbs
4 eggs
salt and pepper to taste
grated Parmesan cheese

Cut 1/4 inch from the tops of the tomatoes.  Scoop out the pulp, leaving a 1/4-inch shell (a serrated grapefruit spoon works great).  Turn the shells upside down on paper towels to drain.

In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.  Add the mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes.  Stir in the greens and cook for another 2 minutes.  Add the butter and cook, stirring, over low heat until the butter melts.  Remove from the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.  Stir in the panko.  Beat the eggs lightly in a small bowl and stir them into the panko mixture (they may scramble slightly).  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Sprinkle the tomato shells lightly with salt.  Fill the tomatoes with the panko mixture.  Place them in a greased 7x11-inch baking pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.  Sprinkle the tops of the tomatoes with grated Parmesan cheese.  Turn the oven off and let the tomatoes sit in the oven for 5 more minutes.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.  Serves 8.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment