April 19th is National Garlic Day!

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Foodie Fridays: Quinoa and Black Lentils with Sweet Potatoes


Black lentils are new to me, but I do like lentils, so when I found a bag of black ones at HomeGoods not long ago I thought I would give them a try.  A Google search led me to a recipe for Red Quinoa and Black Lentils with Kabocha Squash.  Quinoa is an ancient grain which has become very popular lately, thanks to its high protein content and low glycemic index.  It is a good substitute for rice or couscous, and the cooking method is pretty much the same as that for rice.  I made some substitutions/additions to the recipe based on what I had in the house, and the result was quite tasty and very satisfying.  My husband found red quinoa at our local Kroger's, so I will make this again just to try the red variety.  I may even seek out the kabocha squash!

Quinoa and Black Lentils with Sweet Potatoes

1 large onion, diced
2 T. olive oil
1 C. quinoa, rinsed and drained
2 C. chicken or vegetable stock
2 medium sweet potatoes, cooked and diced*
1 C. dried black lentils
1 C. roasted and lightly salted cashew pieces
1 C. dried sweetened cranberries
1/2 C. minced parsley
salt and pepper to taste

Add the onion to the olive oil in a large pot over medium low heat, season with salt and pepper to taste, and sauté until the onion is soft.  Stir in the quinoa and stock and bring to a boil.  Stir and then simmer, covered, over low heat for about 20 minutes until the quinoa is tender (liquid is absorbed but the bottom is not dried out).  Remove from the heat and let the pan stand, covered, for 15 minutes.

Put the lentils in a medium pot with 4 C. water.  Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered for about 25 minutes until the lentils are tender but not mushy.  Drain the lentils.  Fluff the quinoa with a fork and stir in the lentils.  Stir in the remaining ingredients and season to taste.  Serve warm or at room temperature. Serves 4 as a main dish, or 8 as a side dish.

*I used leftover microwaved sweet potatoes, but next time I will try roasting them, which is the method used for the squash in the original recipe.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment