March 28th is Weed Appreciation Day!

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Foodie Fridays: Asian-Inspired Pulled Pork Sandwich and Coleslaw

From Food Network

Even before I developed an allergy to red meat, I was not much of a meat eater.  Most of the time I don't even notice that beef, pork, and lamb are almost never included in my diet (for now I can still tolerate small amounts occasionally).  However, I did have a few meat recipes that I really enjoyed upon occasion.  This Asian-Inspired Pulled Pork Sandwich is one.  The pork is simple to make, and the result is so tender and full of flavor I am afraid I may just develop a craving for this now forbidden food.  Those who are not allergic to pork can indulge at any time, and sometimes I really envy you!  If you are not grilling for the Fourth of July, this recipe would be ideal for a holiday celebration.  You can simply have the meat on a bun, or take just a little more time to mix up a simple slaw, like the Asian-Inspired Coleslaw recipe I've included, and have a real feast!

Asian-Inspired Pulled Pork Sandwich

1/2 C. hoisin sauce
1 can (8 oz.) unsalted tomato sauce
1 T. freshly grated ginger
1 tsp. minced garlic (optional)
2 lbs. boneless pork loin roast, quartered lengthwise
Sesame seed hamburger buns or hoagie rolls
Asian-Inspired Coleslaw (see below)

Put the first four ingredients in a 3 1/2-quart or larger slow-cooker and stir to combine.  Add the pork to the sauce and turn to coat.  Cover and cook on LOW for 6-9 hours until the pork is very tender.  Turn off the slow-cooker.  With two forks, gently pull the meat into shreds.  To serve, top each bun bottom with about 1/4 C. of the pork and 1/3 C. of the coleslaw.  Cover with the bun top.  Serves 6.

Note: The original recipe called for 1 C. of hoisin sauce but for me that was too salty, so I replaced half of it with the unsalted tomato sauce.

Asian-Inspired Coleslaw

1 bag (10 oz.) finely shredded (angel hair) cabbage
2 medium carrots, shredded (about 16 baby carrots)
3-4 T. sliced scallions (2 medium)
1/2 C. diced sweet yellow pickled radish*
2 T. toasted sesame seeds, lightly crushed if desired
1 tsp. sesame oil
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 C. bottled slaw dressing (I used Marzetti's)

Combine all of the ingredients and chill until the flavors combine.  Serves 6.

*If you can find sliced bottled pickled radish, use about eight slices.  Sweet yellow pickled radish can usually be found in Asian or specialty food stores.  If you cannot find it, try substituting 1/4 C. (or to taste) sweet pickle relish (or any other diced sweet pickle), but the radish really does add unique flavor so if you can find it I highly recommend that you use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment