April 25th is World Penguin Day!

Sunday, July 9, 2017

On the Homefront: Whimsical Woodland Wildlife Table

Woody the hedgehog is ready to join in the woodland wildlife fun!

Due to recent unexpected events, this post was put off for quite a long time.  The table was actually the one I set for Memorial Day!  However, the theme would work for just about any season, so here it is, and better late than never, right?  I bought the wildlife plates from Birch Lane months ago, and used them to select the color scheme of warm, subdued neutrals and metallics.  Let's take a look:


Tan cotton place mat (from HomeGoods this year); brown dinner plate (from The Cupboard in Fort Collins, CO, years ago); Dunedin Creature Plate (from Birch Lane); stainless steel flatware; brown cotton napkin; three metals leaf napkin ring (from Bed, Bath, and Beyond a few years ago); moose design mug (from Coldwater Creek many years ago); contemporary copper design water glass (from HomeGoods this year).

The other three dessert plate designs (including my favorite hedgehog):







I had a lot of fun decorating the head of the table!  A potted fern takes center
stage, surrounded by a collection of woodland animals similar to the ones on
the dessert plates.  The stuffed toy bunnies are left over from Easter décor,
and the little hedgehogs are part of my small collection of hedgehog toys.
The fox salt and pepper shakers are from Walmart a couple of years ago, and
the metal squirrel nut grinder was described in one of my previous posts.
The stuffed toy squirrels are actually dog squeaky toys, beloved by both
of our dogs!

I got these Monroe Salt Works Moose Luncheon Plates in Colorado years
ago.  I placed them on the table to hold the crab cakes.

I know I've used this centerpiece before, but I love the rustic look of
the birch candleholder surrounded by tiny pinecones.

This Albee Creature Platter, also purchased from Birch Lane,
is on the table to hold the roasted vegetables.


Because we had just returned from our vacation in New Mexico, I threw together a quick and easy Memorial Day menu of store-bought beet hummus with pita chips, crab cakes I had in the freezer, and a medley of vegetables (bell peppers, onions, summer squash, and tomatoes) lightly salted and roasted in olive oil.  I did splurge on a homemade strawberry pie with almond crust which is simple to make and just delicious.

Whimsical Woodland Wildlife Table Menu:

Beet Hummus/Pita Chips
Crab Cakes/Lemon Wedges
Roasted Vegetables
Iced Tea

Two more hedgehog toys from my collection join the party on the
dining room credenza.

🐰🐺🐰🐺🐰🐺🐰🐺🐰🐺🐰🐺🐰🐺🐰🐺🐰🐺🐰🐺🐰

I will be returning to Georgia in mid-August, and should be able to resume my regular posting schedule then, but I will still try to do an occasional post here in New York whenever I get the chance.  I look forward to setting my Dalmatian Appreciation Day table when I return home!
             

No comments:

Post a Comment