April 18th is International Jugglers Day!

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Foodie Fridays: Mom's Sausage Stuffing

From Marie Claire

Because I was down with the flu over Thanksgiving, preparation of the holiday meal was left to my husband.  He did an admirable job, but since we decided to go with a store-bought, pre-stuffed boneless turkey breast, there was no homemade stuffing on the menu.  We both grew up in households that served stuffing cooked in the bird, not dressing cooked separately, which is still our preference.  Over the years I have always prepared my mother's recipe for sausage stuffing, and this one remains our favorite.  I realize that canned soup is one of the ingredients, something I rarely use, but I figure once a year won't hurt us, and besides, it just tastes so darn good!  I have three other recipes that call for canned soup -- one is the Slow Cooker Mushroom Pot Roast recipe I already posted, and the others are traditional Green Bean Casserole and old-fashioned Tuna Noodle Casserole.  In my opinion, there are some traditions that should not be changed!  Anyway, here is the recipe for our favorite turkey stuffing, which I will be serving for Christmas this year.  Happy Season's Eatings, everyone!

Mom's Sausage Stuffing

12-16 oz. pork sausage
1/2 C. chopped onion
1 C. chopped celery
3 C. dry bread cubes
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 C. milk
4 C. soft bread cubes
1 T. chopped parsley
1 tsp. poultry seasoning

Brown the sausage in a large skillet.  Add the vegetables and cook until soft.  Add the dry bread cubes and cook until light brown.  Combine the soup and milk in a small saucepan and heat, stirring, until smooth.  Toss with the soft bread cubes.  Combine with the sausage mixture.  Add the parsley and poultry seasoning.  Stuff lightly into the turkey and roast.  This stuffing can also be placed in a greased casserole dish and baked at 325-350 degrees for 30 minutes.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment